This error occurs when the character information panel doesn't display properly. While loading into the game, please allow some time for the game to load before pressing any keys (for example the ESC key).
Additionally, your settings may have carried over from the previous versions of Orcs Must Die! Unchained.
To fix this, please follow these steps:
- Load into a Prologue level.
- Press the Escape key to bring up the Main Menu.
- Click on Options, and then select the Gameplay option.
- Locate the Character Help Dialogs option in the Gameplay Options Menu.
- Change the toggle from "Never" to "Always".
- Click the Accept button and close out of the options.
Once you have saved this change, exit the level and try loading back in. If the issue persists, please try pressing the "i" key on your keyboard once while the level loads.
If the issue persists past that, please grab your DxDiag and log files and create a ticket with us via the instructions here.